Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Itch to Travel

My number one new year's resolution: Get out of Dodge. Or Los Angeles, as the case may be. And it is.

I don't like vacations, or at least ones shorter than a month. I much prefer to take long trips and spend decent amounts of time in a place if I like it. Last "real" trip I was on was in 2004, when I spent two months in Guanajuato, Mexico and ten days in San Luis Potosí. I cut that trip short to attend two weddings, but I sometimes wish I hadn't.

Mexico is back on the agenda. Besides the fact that I already love Mexican culture (it's one of my favorite things about Los Angeles), it's cheap, I speak the language (somewhat), and I can bring Iggy Pup. The weather is pleasant (at least where I want to go and when I want to go) and the people are warm and friendly.

I've sketched a quick itinerary. Cross at Nogales, Guaymas, Alamos, Los Mochis, Mazatlán, Durango, Zacatecas, San Luis Potosí, Querétaro. The four main places I want to check out on this route are Alamos, Zacatecas, San Luis Potosí, and Querétaro. I have friends I'll be staying with in SLP, so I might use that as a home base to explore Aguascalientes and Real de Catorce. Right now, 40 - 60 days minimum seems about right for the above destinations. If I want to stay longer in any particular place, I will. At the end of 60 days, I'll decide if I want to head further south than Querétaro.

Right now the goal is to leave at the end of February or the beginning of March. The rainy season starts for the most part in June and runs thru October (all this depending on where one is, of course).

MAP

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment